Evening & Weekend Berkeley MBA Program

International Applicants

International applicants are those who, at the time they submit an application, either:

  1. Received their undergraduate degrees outside the US
  2. Are not US citizens or permanent residents

International applicants should follow the same procedures detailed thus far, as well as those listed below. Please note that since the Evening & Weekend Berkeley MBA Program is a part-time program, we are unable to assist with student visas. Typically, our students work with their employer to assist with their visa. The common visa types that we see are: L1 and H1B. We cannot issue an F-1 student visa.

Minimum Academic Requirements for International Applicants

The minimum graduate admission requirement includes a bachelor's degree or recognized equivalent from an accredited institution. Graduates of recognized academic institutions outside the United States should have completed degree programs representing a minimum of 16 years of schooling with at least 12 years at the primary and secondary levels.

Required Academic Records

Applicants are required to submit official records from each academic institution attended after secondary/high school. All official academic records must be issued in the original language and accompanied by English translations prepared by the issuing institution.

For additional information, see Non-US Transcript Submission.

English Language Proficiency

TOEFL Institution Code: 4833-02
IELTS Institution Code: N/A
Taken on or After: June 1, 2016

UC Berkeley Graduate Division requires that all applicants who received their degrees from countries in which the official language is not English submit official evidence of English language proficiency. This requirement applies to applicants from Bangladesh, Burma, Nepal, India, Pakistan, Latin America, the Middle East, North Africa, the People's Republic of China, Taiwan, Japan, Korea, southeast Asia, and most European countries.

However, if at the time of application you have already completed at least one year of full-time academic coursework with grades of "B" or better in residence at a recognized US institution, you do not need to take a standardized English language proficiency test. Instead, you must submit an official transcript from the recognized U.S. institution. The following courses will not fulfill this requirement:

  • Courses in English as a Second Language
  • Courses conducted in a language other than English
  • Courses that will be completed after you apply
  • Courses of a non-degree or non-academic nature.

There are two standardized tests you may take: the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), and the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) assessment. Unless you are exempt from the standardized English language proficiency test requirement based on attendance at a U.S. institution as mentioned above, you must take the TOEFL or IELTS assessment. No exceptions will be granted.

TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)
We accept TOEFL tests administered by the Educational Testing Service and sent to us directly by the TOEFL office. Tests taken before June 2016 will not be accepted even if your score was reported to Berkeley. Your most recent score must be at least 90 for the Internet-based TOEFL.

TOEFL is administered by the Education Testing Service. You can obtain detailed information from the TOEFL website. To schedule an appointment for the computer-based test in the United States or Canada, call 1-800-GO-TOEFL.

IELTS (International English Language Testing System)
As an alternative, you can submit scores from the Academic Modules of the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) administered by the British Council worldwide. You are responsible for providing us with an official paper Test Report Form (TRF) of your IELTS. Remember to order the TRF when you register to take the test. Tests taken before June 2016 will not be accepted. Your most recent overall BAND score must be at least 7 on a 9-point scale.

To register for the IELTS, consult the IELTS website or contact the office of the test center where you plan to take the test.